Sunday, October 9, 2016

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression

Hi,
The most blatant and hurtful incident involving bias, prejudice, and oppression that I have witnessed involves a white teacher and some white students targeting an a young African American girl, named Brenda.  The incident took place in the 1960’s, the first year my school was integrated. Brenda was the only African American in my class that year. I remember that only two of us would even speak to her. The rest just stared and smirked at her. Our school culture and studies were very different from her old school as well as her home culture. She spoke English, but not in the same way we did and her grammar was lacking. It was evident that she was very uncomfortable and scared, but the teacher called on her anyway. When she gave a wrong answer, our teacher called her ignorant and lazy. Later in the day, she was called  the “N” word by several other students all because of how she spoke the English language and the color of her skin. After these two incidents, she slumped her shoulders, dropped her head, and tears fell down her cheeks.  I was appalled at what had happened, felt ashamed of my own race, and understood discrimination for the first time.  She was so hurt and I felt so sorry for her. The incident diminished equity in that the message was sent that the white race is superior to yours, you are beneath me, so I have power over you. This is in itself is disgraceful in my opinion. As time went on and years passed, I realized how the ideas behind white supremacy and the false stereotypical ideas they foster lead to the oppression of an entire group of people. Everyone would have to change to turn this type of incident into an opportunity for greater equity. It would require coming together, getting to know one another, acknowledging, understanding, and accepting differences as well as similarities. It would require reflection, ridding hate, and instilling love for all. It would be challenging but not impossible.

 Shelia

No comments:

Post a Comment