Saturday, September 24, 2016

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

Wow! Much learning and self-reflection has taken place this week.
Awhile back, I heard a male coworker compare a soda machine to a woman in the break room.  His soda got stuck in the machine so he hit the machine and the soda fell down. He got his soda, laughed, and stated, “its just like a woman, you have to hit it a time or two for it work right.”  I was furious along with a few other women and men. I can’t speak for anyone else, but the remark was quite hurtful for me. I felt disrespected as a woman, devalued, and as though women should be subservient, and were below men.  This was clearly a sexist remark and he may have been joking and did not intend any harm, however, it was hurtful to me and had no place in the work environment. I had just ended a marriage in which I was hearing such remarks from my husband and being physically abused so I was already questioning my value and place in the world and this incident did not help at the time.  I overcome with the help of supportive family and friends, but it took some time.
A microaggression that I observed relates to having different expectations for a black male child’s behavior than for a white male child’s behavior. One little incident involving the black child and he was disciplined by being sent home by a white teacher. White male children engage in many of the same behaviors and they are redirected.  I really think this is the result of stereotypical ideas. It has been pointed out to administration and they are investigating. I am sure the child feels devalued and marginalized. He is disciplined so much for what seems like everything he does, he is probably wondering what is wrong with him and has low self-esteem.

The effects of micro-aggression  can be emotionally and psychologically harmful, deter learning, and hinder one from reaching his or her full potential. It can lead to self-fulfilling prophecy as the targeted assumes the stereotype.  That is a big concern in racial and gender microaggression such as my examples above. I think I will be engaging in even more self-reflection to identify and be mindful of hidden biases. I do not want to cause anyone harm jst because they are different than me.

1 comment:

  1. Shelia,
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. It is amazing when you really focus on microaggression how much we as a society really use them most time unaware. From the brief time of being in this course I realize that we may microinsult, devalue and marginalize more often that we realize. Many times it comes in the form of joking and just kidding.
    Emma

    ReplyDelete