Saturday, January 30, 2016

My Connections to Play

When Your Child Comes Home Messy 

Red paint in the hair? Blue paint on the jeans? Sand in the shoes? Peanut butter on a favorite shirt? White socks that look brown? Sleeves a bit damp?

YOUR CHILD PROBABLY......

worked with a friend

solved a problem
created a masterpiece
negotiated a difference
learned a new skill
had a great time
developed new language skills


YOUR CHILD PROBABLY DIDN'T.......

feel lonely

become bored
do repetitive tasks that are too babyish
do worksheets that are too easy
do sit down work that is discouraging


YOU PROBABLY......

paid good money for those clothes

Will have trouble getting the red paint out
are concerned the caregiver isn't paying enough attention to your child


YOUR CAREGIVER PROBABLY......

was aware of your child's special needs and interests

spent time planning a challenging activity for the children
encouraged the children to try new things
was worried you might be concerned


Young children really learn when they are actively involved in play.....not when someone is talking to them. There is a difference between "messy" and "lack of care." Your caregiver made sure your child was fed, warm, offered new skills and planned messy fun things to do because that's how young children learn!
Send your child in clothes that can get dirty! Keep extra old clothes at the site for times when the child gets really messy. But remember, young children need time to be kids.
~author unknown

Children learn as they play. Most importantly, in play children learn how to learn.

O. Fred Donaldson
Contemporary American martial arts master


Toys that I was most found of during my early childhood years were all types of dolls, housekeeping toys, paper dolls, coloring books, story books, playing my toy piano, riding my trike/bike, and such. I enjoyed water coloring and playing with dough. I loved to pretend play most of all. My friends or siblings and I often played house, school, beauty parlor, grocery store, cowboys and Indians, GI Joe, and such. We lived fantasies through our paper dolls.  We also played outdoor games such as drop the handkerchief, mother may I, 1-2-3 redlight, chase, hide and seek, red rover, hula hoop games, jump rope, soft ball, roller bat, and a basketball game called H-O-R-S-E. Our parents often played with us. My mother and father taught me to play many of the games I so enjoyed playing as a child at home, in my neighborhood, and during recess at school. Times were very different during my childhood. Technology as we know today did not exist. We used our imagination and we actively played. My mother did not work; she  cared for our home and family. My father worked, however, back then, companies and businesses closed on Sunday. The town stores and offices also closed at 6 pm daily. Families seemed to spend more time together working and playing. There seemed to be a stronger focus on family and I believe life moved at a slower pace. Today, in most families, both parents work. The work week is now 6-7 days and there is no down time. Everyone seems to be busy juggling various schedules and moving in different directions. Life moves at a much faster pace for most.  Educational policy now has a stronger focus on standards, accountability, and high stakes testing, so recess is disappearing. There is less time for purposeful play and when you consider technology, it is easier to let television, computerized games/media, and the internet entertain and teach our children many of the skills that children learned through play in the past. Play as I experienced it and have described is becoming something found only  in the past. Today's children are missing out on enjoyable play experiences that build imagination, creativity, social/emotional, and cognitive skills while fostering their overall positive health and well-being. We are already seeing the unfortunate consequences through a rise in  health and obesity problems, problems with social/emotional skills, language skills, and cognitive issues in many children. It is time that parents and educators recognize the importance of purposeful , imaginative and creative play and put in back into the lives of children.  




5 comments:

  1. Shelia,
    Your childhood sounds like you and you family had a lot of fun playing. Just like you, my sisters and I loved pretend play. Back then our family would have game night, which consist of board games and not video games like our children today. Even though both of my parents worked, they still made time to support our play.
    Great post,
    Jamillah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelia,
    You are right on the money when you state less time is spent on family and more time is spent at work. My mother stayed home for a time, but when things got super tight, she did work out of the home. What was so wonderful was the way she still held the family at the center. We always went to church on Sundays and that was one day I knew I could let my room be a bit messier! :) As much as I love the technological age we are experiencing, I can't help but wonder if all these "tools" to make life "easier" for us are actually hurting what little down time we actually have? For example, I was mortified just last night while playing cards with another family. We were playing a card game where a single turn can take a few minutes. As I was waiting for mine, I couldn't resist the siren song of social media and would pop onto my phone. When I realized I was the only one (the two teenagers weren't even on their phones!) - I promptly placed it on the counter ACROSS the room. I then proceeded to win the game :). Thank you for reminding me of the value play has within the family unit and our job as ECE to model what we know is best.
    Wonderful post!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really agree how it was to have parents that were involved with play, regardless of their work and other responsibilities. It was awesome play softball in the field with kids and parents that lived in the neighborhood. It seem in-spite of what life threw at us , we still valued "play" a chance to live our dreams in play . Now I just wonder if children are really getting to experience childhood, missing out on play ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the poem/story you posted at the very beginning. Every bit of it! I have constantly to remind myself that when my daughter comes home covered in paint, glitter, dirt, food, or whatever else so comes home in, its a sign of learning and fun and those days are almost always the days she has the best stories to tell.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelia,

    Just reading your blog really took me down memory lane. Mother-may-I game is, one of the games that my siblings, friends, and I often played. Playing was something that was so common in our day. However,today it seems to be a thing of the past. As you stated, children are entertained by electronics and technology. Consequently, children are being deprived of simple play. Thus,technology and electronics have removed the space for the imagination.

    Great blog.

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete