Saturday, February 13, 2016

My Support System

My daily supports often consist of emotional support, financial support, and the up-keep of my home and car from my adult children and brother.  My adult children and brother support me with words of encouragement and offer advice during stressful times and times when my morale is low.  They provide financial support if I lose time out of work or have an unexpected need or illness.  They also help with the up keeping of my home at times.  Most of all, they make me feel loved, valued, and respected.  They also make me feel needed because they often confide in me and ask for advice.  My church family also provides support in the form of spiritual guidance and by praying for me.  My friends support me emotionally by encouraging me to be involved in recreation and relaxation opportunities that they often plan. My co-workers provide support and encouragement for my work.  I am a person that manages to get a lot on my plate at times and I am a natural born worrier.  Without these supports, I would feel very alone and my life would be much more stressful and I am not sure that I could cope as well as I do, especially when my asthma, COPD, and arthritis flares.
The challenge I choose to discuss is losing eyesight or blindness.  With this disability comes many challenges and more advanced support is needed in addition to the ones I am fortunate enough to already have.  I would have to learn to function in my home and other environments.  Many supports would be needed.  Training, relearning how to care for myself and how to maneuver around my different environments would be necessary.  Perhaps a walking cane or seeing-eye dog would be possible.  I would no longer be able to drive so I would need support in getting to the places that I needed to go including the doctor, grocery shopping, and more.  I would need more physical support with house cleaning and yardwork.  I am sure a job change would be necessary or I would have to qualify for social security.  I would need support in learning braille and in learning to use assistive technology with the computer.  Living independently and continuing to work would definitely be a challenge and additional financial support would be needed.  Losing my sight is my most dreaded fear because glaucoma is a side effect of the daily medicines I have to take contain inhaled steroids.  I know my family, church, and friends would be there to support me, but I know that much of the training, learning, and supports that I would need are also costly and time consuming; therefore, I would also have to find additional financial support.  I have never wanted to be a burden to anyone.  I also cannot imagine going through the rest of my life without seeing my children and grandchildren’s beautiful faces or the beauty in the world; so I am sure I would need professional emotional support as well.  This disability is definitely life changing; however, with the support I already have and the support I would be able to find, I would eventually accept the disability, learn to be as independent as possible, and cope with all the changes the best that I could.  Without the needed supports, functioning somewhat independently, continuing to work, maintaining emotional/social health, and being productive would be impossible.

Shelia

3 comments:

  1. Shelia,

    The challenge you chose to discuss was losing eyesight or blindness. The way you described this disability was vivid. You really spelled out so many areas of support that you would need on a daily basis. There would be so many things to relearn and develop just to function daily.

    I hope that you will not have to experience such a scenario, because it sounds as though you enjoy helping others, opposed to being at the mercy of others. Great post! I really enjoyed reading it.

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelia,
    As I was reading I see that you are very blessed to have a huge support system. I was also happy to read that you are beginning to accept your disability. Please remember that God does not give us more than we can handle. I know your trust and belief in him, kept you in positive spirits.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Jamillah Adamson

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a detailed post of one the most influential support system that only one could hope for as well. The strength to pursue on throughout life , very well demonstrates the blessings, love, and true relationship that encompasses the support structure. I wish you well and the support system that is in place in your life.

    ReplyDelete