Saturday, January 16, 2016

Relationships Reflection

As I reflect upon my current relationships, I can identify several that are important to me and they are central to my life, happiness, and overall well-being.  Currently, my relationships include my experiences and interactions with God, my children, my brother and sister-in-law, my friends, and those that are part of my professional life such as my director, co-workers, parents, and children in my classroom.  Even though we do not always agree, I cannot imagine my life without these relationships.  They each play a role in shaping the person that I am and who I want to be as I grow.
I find unconditional love, peace, and joy in my relationship with my Lord and Savior even in troublesome times.  As I pray and read his word, I always find comfort, purpose, direction, guidance, and encouragement.  In my relationship with my children, I find love, trust, respect, purpose, and encouragement.  I find that I am needed.  Even though they are grown, they are my world and I strive to be a good example for them while respecting their right to live their own life.  The relationship between my brother and his wife is one of support, encouragement, and family dinners and celebrations.  We each know we can call on each other and that each will be there, this holds true for my children.  My relationship with my present friends is one of getting together to just relax, fellowship, and enjoy ourselves.  I recently lost my best friend to cancer.  For years, we shared secrets, tears, laughter, and saw each other through some hard times.  I really miss her.  In my professional relationships- director, co-workers, and parents, we have a partnership committed to fostering the positive development of the infants in my classroom.  Just yesterday, I had a first time mom tell me as we were talking about her son meeting developmental milestones early, “ I also want my son (he’s 7 months old) to grow up to be a good man.  I want him to have good manners, be gentle, kind, respectful, and a good husband and daddy.  I need you all to help me accomplish this too.  What can I do at home?”  This really touched director, as well as my co-workers and me.  

A relationship is a connection, association, or involvement.  Relationships can be positive or negative, build one up, or tear one down; they can create or destroy.  I have learned that healthy relationships are built and maintained through reciprocal interactions, communication,  experiences, trust, respect, dedication, and commitment.  A degree of loyalty in some relationships is required.  Relationships are not always easy and can come to an end.  Relationships have to be worked at and those involved have to work at it together.  
youngest daughter on right
middle daughter and her family

middle son and his family
oldest daughter and her family
youngest son








1 comment:

  1. Shelia,

    God has honored you with happiness, which is found in your family members, co-workers and friends. It is a wonderful experience to have interactions with people who love, and respect you for who you are. I am also sorry for your loss. Best friends are not easily found. But you can certainly say, that you were granted one, who shared many things with you while she lived. Continue to hold those warm memories in your heart. She may be gone to her resting place, but her loving memories live on in the hearts of those who love her.

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete