Saturday, September 19, 2015

Personal Childhood Web

My Father, Mother, brother and me.
My mother and father were my primary caregivers when I was a child. They had the greatest impact on my development and many of  morals, values, and beliefs are rooted in what they taught me. My daddy was honest and very hardworking. He worked hard and a lot of overtime in a textile factory to provide for us, a family of five . My work ethics come from him. He always taught me that anything worth having was worth working for. He also taught me that anything worth doing was worth doing to the best of your ability. He taught me to be honest and to live by the ten commandments and golden rule. He took us to church every Sunday.  He supported my education and often helped me with homework especially math homework. He taught me to play board games, to fish, and often played jump rope with me. As I grew he taught me to drive, balance my checkbook, and to fill out my taxes. If you have ever heard the song, "Daddy's Hands", that is very much like my daddy. He could be gentle and loving, yet he was a little hard on us too.  When it come to my behavior or I had done wrong, his hands turned hard as steel.  My  mother was a stay at home mom. She took care of our home and us. Sometimes she did without for her family to have. Mama taught me to be caring, loving, and helpful. She made sure my homework was complete and fostered a love of reading. She taught me to cook, sew, embroidery, and to weave pot holders. She taught me to respect those that are different and not to judge others. She always said you couldn't fully understand anyone till you walked in their shoes. Mama always told me that I could accomplish anything, if I tried. She always made me feel special when she made me dresses and curled my hair. She taught me how to take care of myself and my family. Both my parents taught me about God and how to pray. My brother and sister were my first best friends. We played together, encouraged each other, supported each other, and took care of each other our parents' health began to fail. My favorite memories are related to holidays, Sundays, picnics, and fishing trips because these times were special as we spent time together. My family relationships play a huge role in my desire to help and support others.

During my childhood, schools were located in the neighborhood you lived in. Everyone knew each other. Families helped each other and often neighbors were part of your support system. We didn't venture too far out of our neighborhood without a parent.We played together and learned together in and out of school. Our parents also knew each other. Great friendships were built here. I went to school here from first grade through the eighth.  During my childhood, we could pray and read scripture at school. Most of my teachers began our day this way so my religious values and beliefs were also encouraged at school. Many of my teachers encouraged my love for learning especially reading. The relationships built here played a huge role in developing who I am today, my values, and beliefs as well as in my academic success then and now.



Mrs. Jane and her daughters
Mrs. Jane Emmett, youth leader, played a huge role in encouraging and supporting me in my spiritual growth. She explained how the Bible and the teachings of Jesus could be applied to my daily life and was a positive role model. She often hosted parties and get-togethers in her home and at our community church. We would play music, board games, charades, softball, and participate in Bible Drills. I especially enjoyed the bonfires, wiener roasts, making Smores, and hayrides in the fall, She also took us to Christian youth events in our district. This allowed the pre-teens and teens to get together and have fun in a Christian atmosphere. I could also always talk to her about my troubles and she would listen, pray with me, and help me to understand them, and work through them using Christian principles.
She played a role in the development of my morals, values, and who I am today. When I am faced with challenges much of how I handle them relates to the relationship I had with her as a child.

Of course, there come a time in young adulthood when I ventured away from many of the teachings and relationships from my childhood and did my own thing. However, as I grew older and my family came into being, I found myself returning to them. The older and more mature I grow, I am discovering that the relationships and teachings from my childhood are the essence of who I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment