Friday, November 6, 2015

Child Development and Public Health: Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)

I chose to write about this topic because it is relative to my work with infants. I have never experienced SIDS but it was my worst fear when my own children were babies, my worst fear related to my grandchildren, and my worst fear in my work.

The Safe to Sleep® campaign, formerly known as the Back to Sleep campaign, has helped educate millions of caregivers—parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, babysitters, child care providers, health care providers, and others—about ways to reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and other sleep-related causes of infant death (NICHD, 2015). The Mayo Clinic (2015) defines sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) as “the unexplained death, usually during sleep, of a seemingly healthy baby less than a year old” (para. 1).  Since infants often die in their cribs, SIDS is often referred to as crib death.  While the exact cause is unknown, research finds a link to the section of an infant's brain that governs breathing and arousal from sleep. Research finds that the most important thing parents, caregivers, and anyone who cares for infants can do to reduce the risk of SIDS or help to prevent it is to always place the baby on its back to sleep. (Mayo Clinic, 2015). Public health used the research and initiated a Back to Sleep campaign. After the launch of the Back-to-Sleep campaign in 1994, the rate of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome declined by more than 50 percent, and then plateaued.  In an another study "Risk Factor Changes for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome After Initiation of Back-to-Sleep Campaign​," in April 2012, pediatric researchers examine whether the predominant risk factors involved in SIDS deaths have changed in the Back-to-Sleep era (American Academy of Pediatrics, 2012).  Other factors were discovered that put a baby at risk, which include low birthweight, repertory infection, sleeping on the stomach or side, sleeping on a soft surface, and sleeping with parents.  Additional risks include sex, age, race, secondhand smoke, family history, and pre-term birth.  Research still finds that the most important thing parents, caregivers, and anyone who cares for infants can do to reduce the risk of SIDS or help to prevent it is to always place the baby on its back to sleep.  Additionally, parents and all caregivers can keep the crib as bare as possible, avoid overheating the baby, allow the baby to sleep alone in his or her crib, breast-feed the baby, and offer a pacifier (American Academy of Pediatrics, 2012; Mayo Clinic, 2015).
In Australia, there were about 550 infant deaths per year from SIDS. Following the initiation of their safe sleep campaign in 1988, the instances of SIDS have reduced to less than 100.  The recommendations for safe sleep is to place baby on the back from birth, not on the tummy or side for sleep and to sleep baby with head and face uncovered. It also recommends keeping baby smoke free before birth and after, providing a safe sleeping environment night and day, sleeping baby in their own safe sleeping place in the same room as an adult caregiver for the first six to twelve months, and breastfeeding baby (Sids and Kids, 2015).
It appears that both countries recommend sleeping the baby on their back, avoiding tobacco, and a safe sleep environment. Any differences are a matter of culture. The information I have found I already use in my classroom but I have decided to share it with my parents to encourage their practice of safe sleep.
References
American Academy of Pediatrics. (2012). "Risk Factor Changes for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome After Initiation of Back-to-Sleep Campaign.” Retrieved from​http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/129/4/630
Mayo Clinic.  (2015). Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.  Retrieved from http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sudden-infant-death-syndrome/basics/definition/con-20020269
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development [NICHD]. (2015). Explore the Campaign. Safe to Sleep Public Education Campaign. Retrieved from https://www.nichd.nih.gov/sts/campaign/Pages/default.aspx
Sids and Kids. (2015). Safe Sleeping. Retrieved from http://www.sidsandkids.org/safe-slee

5 comments:

  1. SIDS, is a very important topic to research. I have a cousin who just recently had a baby girl, and of course the baby sleeps in the bed with her. Please believe me, I have told he many of times the dangers of co-sleeping, but you know how it goes when you try and give information to a young adult. Needless to say the baby still sleeps in the bed with her mother.
    It's wonderful to know that Australia, uses the same practices when it comes to infants and safe sleeping. I hope other countries around the world do the same.
    I really enjoyed your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila:
    Working in the early childhood field and more specifically the infant room, I can not stress the importance of the back to sleep campaign. In North Carolina day cares are required to document every 15 minutes how the baby is sleeping. Some workers take it for granted but I can not risk losing a baby on my watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The topic of Sids is very important. I do know someone who has gone through this experience and it was very tough for them. They did not know what the cause of it was. One night they put the baby to sleep and the next morning he was dead, this is a very serious and tragic issue that has affected many families. It is important for parents of newborns to know the severity of sids and to watch over their infants, although the cause of it is unknown, and sometimes it may run in families, and this is something you can not truly be prepared for, but doing research and being educated on it is important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila thank you for the article on blog. I feel wanting to focus on working with infants this must be a topic you know. Over the years it became a more prevalent and we must be able to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg I'm so happy to share this!!! I've been thinking I've lost my mind and it was some mental case. I myself had my tubes tied after my 3rd child. I have a condition that makes having babies so hard on my body. About 6 months ago I too would feel something like "kicks" of course I thought I was out right crazy. I never spoke to anyone about what was going through. How could I? They'd think I was nuts!!! Well my periods have been getting so bad that I reached out to my best friend who also had the operation to see if she had experienced any symptoms with her periods since! Of course we were in the same boat. I broke down and told her I almost felt at times I was pregnant I felt so crazy just typing this out to her. I was beyond nervous she would think it was a nut case. To my surprise she also had similar symptoms. We both are researching what this could be. That's when I came across this website on Google of dr Itua Herbal Center. While scrolling through these comments I stumbled upon how he treated HIV/HHerpes also helped a woman to get pregnant with his herbal medicines. When I read what he had been going through I just broke down and cried for the longest time. Finally I got a help that I ever wanted I and my friend purchase Dr Itua herbal medicines and we both used it which was really effective it  cure my cramp issues so I will recommend anyone going through some health issue to contact Dr Itua Herbal Center on E-Mail : drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats-App +2348149277967  He  cure HIV/Aids, Herpes, Cancers, And other stubborn disease make sure someone here talk to someone about this who is going through the same thing as us. Ty for sharing. I now know we're not alone!!!

    ReplyDelete