Saturday, October 31, 2015

Childbirth In My Life and Around the World

I have given birth to four beautiful and healthy babies. As soon as I suspected I might be pregnant, I went to the doctor and began prenatal care. There were no complications with the first three. I delivered each time in a hospital with my nurses and doctors help. With the first three, my husband and family waited in the waiting room while I delivered. With my last daughter, which was 16 years later, I was considered high risk because I was 40.  At about 5 months, I began to have bladder infections, blood pressure problems, and developed gestational diabetes.  The doctors pulled me off my job, limited my activities, and treated my infections, and diabetes.  I had quite a few ultrasounds and amniocentesis testing and the baby was always fine.  When I went into labor, they could all stay with me in the birthing room until time for delivery.  At that time, I wanted only my husband with me.  He was able to stay during the delivery and actually cut the umbilical cord as the doctor instructed him. I actually had an easy delivery.  This was a wonderful and joyful experience for us. We had a healthy baby girl weighing in at 8 pounds and 22 inches long. The day we were to go home, I developed postpartum preeclampsia. I was very sick, but fortunately, I was taken care of with appropriate medical care and no lasting harm was done to my health or the health of my baby girl. She is still healthy and will graduate high school this year with honors. She has been accepted into Columbus State and is majoring in nursing with a minor in psychology.

In Africa, many women do not have a good outcome as I did.  One in 22 women dies during pregnancy or childbirth (Guardian News, 2012).  Conditions such as high blood pressure, breech births, and hemorrhaging are easily treated in developed countries; African women often die from them because they lack access to good quality health care or a trained midwife.  Many women in Africa especially in remote areas have little choice in giving birth to their babies at home with their mother or grandmother at their side.  They are fortunate if the birth goes smoothly without complications.  However, if things go wrong, the nearest help can be hours away.  With no transportation, their only option is to walk to get help; often this happens in the middle of labor.  Three delays are usually referenced as increasing mortality rates (Guardian News, 2012):
·         Delay in pursuing care: women may have to get permission from their husbands or the male head of the household; they may not recognize the emergency; or they may fear going to a health care facility.
·         Delay in arriving at a health care facility: transportation may be unattainable, unaffordable, or simply take too long.
·         Delay in receiving care once at the health care facility: health centers may lack staff, equipment, or supplies; wealthy patients or males may be seen first; or cost of care may be unaffordable.
This may offer an explanation, still too many women and babies are dying in developing countries such as Africa during pregnancy and childbirth from complications that are often preventable (Guardian News, 2012).

My experience was very different from what women go through in remote areas of Africa.  I simply cannot imagine giving birth at home without help from trained nurses and doctors and in a medical facility that is clean, sterile, and medically equipped to handle problems.  I certainly cannot imagine walking while in the middle of labor to find help.  With each of my children, my husband drove me just a few miles to the hospital.  My doctors and nurses prepared me as far as what to expect, made sure I understood how to properly take care of my health, and even how to take care of my baby after going home to ensure babies’ health.  I cannot imagine experiencing preeclampsia/eclampsia without medical care.  Seizures and possible stroke would most likely occur and I am sure it would be horrible and fatal.  I can easily see the importance of early and ongoing prenatal care, delivering in a facility with trained medical doctors and staff, and postpartum care.  I can also see how poverty can influence health from conception and throughout life.  The birthing experience cannot only influence development, but can end life for the mother, or child, or both without the proper care.

About 800 women die from pregnancy- or childbirth-related complications around the world every day (WHO, 2014).  In 2013, 289,000 women died during pregnancy and following pregnancy and childbirth.  Nearly all of these deaths happened in low-resource settings in developing countries, and the majority could have been avoided.  More than half of these deaths took place in sub-Saharan Africa.  The deaths were a result of severe bleeding (mostly bleeding after childbirth), infections (usually after childbirth), and high blood pressure during pregnancy (pre-eclampsia and eclampsia), complications from delivery, and unsafe abortion (WHO, 2014).  While care has increased in many parts of the world during the past decade, only 46% of women in low-income countries such as sub-Saharan Africa benefit from skilled care during pregnancy and childbirth.  Just over a third of all pregnant women have the recommended four antenatal care visits.  This means that millions of births are not assisted by a midwife, a doctor, or a trained nurse, nor do they receive postpartum care.  Reasons that prevent women from receiving or seeking care during pregnancy and childbirth are poverty, distance, lack of information, inadequate services, and cultural practices (WHO, 2014).  Maternal health and child health are closely connected.  Additionally, 6.3 million children under the age of five died in 2013 worldwideA similar number were stillborn.  Leading causes of death in under-five children are preterm birth complications, pneumonia, birth asphyxia, diarrhea, and malaria.  Malnutrition is connected to about 45% of all child deaths.  Children in sub-Saharan Africa are more than 15 times more likely to die before the age of five than children in developed regions.  More than half of these early child deaths are due to conditions that could be prevented or treated with access to simple and affordable interventions and health care (WHO, 2014).

References

Guardian News.  (2012). Giving birth - the most dangerous thing an African woman can do? The Guardian Retrieved from http://www.theguardian.com/journalismcompetition/giving-birth-the-most-dangerous-thing-an-african-woman-can-do

 

World Health Organization (2014). Maternal mortality. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs348/en/

 

World Health Organization (2014). Children: Reducing mortality Retrieved from http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs178/en/

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Shelia, I enjoyed reading you post. I am glad to know that there was no major complications after you had your postpartum preeclampsia and evrything went well. reading your post about the African way of birth made very sad and realized how lucky we are to give birth in the hospital with all the doctors and nurses and modern technology equipments they are using to help us deliver our babies safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shelia. I'm happy that we have the opportunity to be in the same class. I enjoyed reading your blog. I found the information about childbirth in Africa very interesting. I am so happy that we have excellent prenatal care available to us. I'm looking forward to reading more of your blogs soon, Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Shelia, Thank you for sharing and giving more insight into child birth in Africa. I enjoyed reading and learned more from you than I have access to. It is my home continent and I did not know a lot of the things you mentioned because not enough awareness has been created and research is not a popular way of digging up information. I am glad your birthing experiences were pleasant in the end. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shelia
    I enjoyed reading about your child birth experience and gaining more knowledge about child birth in Africa. I'm glad that you beat the sickness and will be able to see your baby girl graduate! how exciting! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete